Ads Here

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Lalaban kay Bongbong? Martin Romualdez keeping options open after Duterte VP endorsement

President Rodrigo Duterte’s endorsement has bolstered the confidence of House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez to consider a vice presidential bid—even if he may be pitted against his cousin, former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Romualdez on Thursday (June 17) expressed gratitude for Duterte’s support should he run for vice president in the 2022 elections.

“Currently, I am keeping my options open with regard to the 2022 elections,” Romualdez said. “For sure, the President’s warm support and words of encouragement will weigh heavily on whatever decision I have to make in October 2021.”

Duterte on Wednesday (June 16) said he will honor his word to support Romualdez’s vice presidential bid should the Leyte lawmaker aspire for the post.

The President revealed that he had assured Romualdez of his endorsement at the height of the speakership battle in 2019.

“[A]ng deal ko sa kanya ganito: ‘Wag ka na lang maghabol diyan and next election, which is just around the corner, if you run for vice president, I will support you and I will hold on that commitment,” Duterte said.

“‘Pag tumakbo si Romualdez, I will support him. Yan ang pinangako ko. Walang problema. I will honor my word,’” he added.

Marcos, meanwhile, has been touted as a potential running mate of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, who recently said she’s now considering running for president.

Romualdez’s cousin flew to Davao City last month to greet Sara on her birthday, giving rise to speculation he’s wooing the presidential daughter to be his partner in the 2022 polls.

The post Lalaban kay Bongbong? Martin Romualdez keeping options open after Duterte VP endorsement first appeared on .

Source: Latest Politics News Today (Politics.com.ph)

No comments:

Post a Comment