Ads Here

Friday, May 15, 2020

Lagman: I never blamed House for failing to act on ABS-CBN bills, I blamed Cayetano

Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman on Saturday responded to Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano’s tirade slamming him and Buhay party-list Rep. Lito Atienza for their criticisms of the House’s inaction toward the bills renewing ABS-CBN’s franchise.

“Contrary to the baseless tirades, albeit obliquely, against me by Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, I never blamed the House of Representatives for failing to act on the bills seeking the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise,” he said in a statement.

Lagman said he directed the blame at Cayetano himself and the House leadership for “stalling” the consideration of the 11 pending bills.

“I directly faulted Cayetano himself and the House leadership for not shepherding the seasonable consideration and action on the subject bills and for unduly stalling their consideration until the network’s franchise expired on May 4, 2020,” he said.

Lagman also denied that he belittled the accomplishments of the House, such as passing the 2020 General Appropriations Bill, the fifth Tranche of the Salary Standardization Law and the postponement of the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections, “all of which I supported and voted for.”

“What I said was that before and after the approval of these priority measures, the House leadership had sufficient time to deliberate and act on the franchise renewal bills before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.

“My press statements are on record and they speak on the verity of my declarations,” Lagman said.



Source: Latest Politics News Today (Politics.com.ph)

No comments:

Post a Comment